Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Twenty years ago today...

I can't believe I'm going to do this. It will prove to be quite embarrassing...

...ahem...

Twenty years ago today was September 27, 1987. Duh. You already know that, right? Well, what you may not know is that twenty years ago today, I was a freshman in high school going to my first homecoming with my first boyfriend, Kelvin Shaw. ... sigh... I liked him. He gave me a necklace. Oh, I can't believe I'm going to do this... OK... brace yourself... here it comes...



AHHHHH! But look how skinny I was. Geesh. I think I weighed like 120 lbs. Oh, and that's our dog, Taffy. She's fetching sticks with Jesus now. I've lost track of Kelvin, but would love to find him again.

Of course, I can't do this without sucking other people into the vortex of embarrassment. Here's my sister and her friend/date/all-around good guy, Tom Thomas.

Awwww. BTW, the reason she is smiling with her mouth closed is because of the braces. Fortunately, those have been removed now and her teeth are quite lovely. Tom has a myspace and we have just recently reconnected. Myspace is good for that.

Now, I didn't mention to you that homecoming also happened to occur on my best friend, Kelly's, 14th birthday. We double dated. It was exciting. Wishing you a big happy 34th, Kel, with this one of you and Jeremy right here...



Nice tie, huh. You gotta love the '80's!

Comment. Or, maybe on second thought, don't.

13 comments:

Jen said...

Can I just point out how hot I was?

Jen said...

. . . and still am

Jen said...

Oh, I forgot all about the double-sided tape. That is a painful memory, both figuratively and literally. Just the tape, though. Prom was a blast.

Jen said...

such a pleasant place to go to school . . .

Becca said...

first off....awesome.

nextly, you went to school from THE tom from myspace...cool.

katy said...

You guys have totally made my day. I checked my blog yesterday morning -- no comments. Today? BAM! A whole slew of 'em.

I'll dig up and scan the prom pictures. I'm sure I have other incriminating ones, too. In fact, I'm positive. Mwah ha ha ha ha (<- evil laugh) Oh the power... THE POWER!!!

sorry 'bout that.

Oh, hi Heather!! I have pictures of you too somewhere.

Becca, you lucked out. Nice to hear from you, though.

OK... enough of this. I need to go to Sam's Club. Smooches!

Sandy said...

I resent the comment about the double-sided carpet tape - I thought it was an excellent way to protect my girls from the evil boys that took them to the prom!! LOL! Tommy (sorry but you will always be Tommy to me), it was good to see the girls and you have connected again. I always thought you were such a nice guy.

Sandy said...

Oh, yes. We were unable to find gowns with straps so there had to be concessions made! Waves right back at ya'!

katy said...

I'm sorry but I must clarify. My gown indeed had straps and no tape was needed.

Sorry. Just felt the need to defend my chestal area.

So cute to see Tommy and mom giving each other waves!

Sandy said...

Darn!! I thought we double-sided double! This is what happens when you get OLD!! Details go by the wayside.

Becca said...

it's unfortunate tom isn't THE tom from myspace.

i like lettuce, pickles, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, oregano, and olive oil for toppings, not THE tom.

Jen said...

Wow. I leave it for a day and come back to 21 comments. Scary. Seriously, though, I laughed about Lorrie and the cookie, Tom. She was always eating and never gained weight. Yeah . . . that was annoying.

katy said...

Oh, my dear Sarah. I definitely have pictures of you and your big hair. I shall crop them into the frame of my pictures!

Oh you are all going to keep me so busy!