Saturday, October 07, 2006

My 15 years of school... in retrospect

OK. So I'm copying Becca. But having my kids in 7th grade, 2nd grade and kindergarten, respectively, does make me reflect on my school years. Here's a recap:

We didn't have preschool in the late '70's.

Kindergarten - I went to River Valley (we moved the next summer). Mrs. Gandert was my teacher. She was nice but I really remember the assistant, Mrs. Comstock. She and I had the same favorite color -- orange. I got in trouble for stealing a candy lipstick thing off of the desk and holding it my hand for all of recess. I got in trouble. It was slightly traumatic.

1st Grade - Pleasant from here on out. I had Mrs. Short. She was... short. I sat next to a boy named Chad who ate glue and I faked a nap on my desk once.

2nd Grade - Mrs. Kay had a reputation for being mean, but she was OK. I coughed in the direction of a girl who was friends with a girl I wanted to be my best friend. I wanted her to get sick. That wasn't very nice. She didn't get sick anyway.

3rd Grade - Mrs. Michaels was my favorite in elementary. My best friend, Tara, was in my class. We learned cursive. It was a good year.

4th Grade - Got my hair cut short and permed. I had Mrs. Truka. My sister had her too. She was nice, but I sat across from a girl who was mean. I did a book report on Amelia Earhart and dressed up like her. A picture of me reading to my mom was in the yearbook. I was in the first gfted and talented program with only one other girl from my grade.

5th Grade - Mrs. Young was nice. We were in the junior high building. I liked to read Noelle Streatfield books from the library. I had Mrs. Sharp for math. She was grouchy.

6th Grade - Mr. Gorby went to our church and I liked him. Jen had him, too. He had every class build bridges out of posterboard. I had Mr. Covert for science. He was mean. Cabbage Patch Kids were big that year.

7th - 8th Grade - These two years were not the highlight of my school career. I was tall and awkward. I had some teachers I liked and some I didn't. Mr. Coffman was cool. I had Mr. Stevens for history and he was HARD. I flunked two tests in that class and cried a lot. I liked Mrs. Dendinger. I was in her class when the space shuttle blew up. I loved my band director, Mr. Holsinger. He let me march in the high school marching band in 8th grade.

9th - 12th Grade - High school was fun. I could sing and found my niche. The best teacher by far was Mrs. Gruber, the librarian. I never sat through a study hall because I was busy working or hanging out in the library. I still keep in touch with her. I also loved Mrs. Burris, the chorus teacher. Mrs. Stoneburner was a hard English teacher but also the drama director. I got in trouble (with my mom) for getting mad at Mr. Hall and yelling at him. Overall, I really enjoyed high school.

13th -14th Grade - I was a vocal performance major at the University of Akron. My sister was there, too and we had fun. Dr. Schiller was my voice teacher. She was rarely on time for lessons. It was annoying. I liked our choir director, Dr. MacClary, and our opera scenes guy, Mr. Anderson, even though he usually smelled like alcohol.

I got married the next summer with plans to go back, but things went in a different direction. I'll go back someday.



That was fun. Thanks, Becca.

Try it...

3 comments:

Becca said...

I'm so glad you decided to do this too!! There was so much I wanted to write, but I couldn't for the sake of everyone reading.

I think I faked a nap once too...

Jen said...

Ah, Mr. Stevens. My first B.
I have no memory of Mrs. Truka, except how to spell her name.
I didn't know you used to read Noelle Streatfield -- I have never read any of those books but remember them from "You've Got Mail."
Do you have my Cabbage Patch preemie? Do you? Hunh? Do you?

Jeanna said...

Oh, my goodness! The fourth grade report--I did mine on Helen Keller and dressed up like her, too...and after I gave the synopsis of her life I commented that now she is in Heaven and "at least up here I just have to wear glasses". I am still embarassed. This was so much fun to read!