Saturday, October 07, 2006

Jesus Camp



Hmmm. The "Jesus Camp" movie was just brought to my attention for the first time today.

I repeat. Hmmmmm...

Let me give you a bit of my background and then I'll give you my unsolicited opinion. I was raised Baptist, conservative. In college, I leaned more toward the charismatic. My husband and I have ministered in about every type of church you could imagine from Lutheran to Pentecostal. I've had hands laid on me, prayed for healings, raised my hands during worship, felt God giving me a sense when praying for others and even privately speak in tongues on occasion while praying. I believe that God hears me just the same, though, when I pray silently or sing a hymn.

I watched this trailer today and have watched several other commentaries and opinions.

Mine?

I love God. That's the bottom line. And not much thrills me more than to see Him working in and through children. What concerns me, though, is the extreme I am observing. I hear these kids saying things that are not "kid" things to say. It seems they are repeating by rote something that has been taught to them; something they might not even understand. I'm wondering if there is a heart connection. Also I've noticed something else that I'm not crazy about, here and in many other charismatic and pentecostal circles. The "gifts" are there to enhance our relationship with God; much like a toolbox. I always get concerned when the gifts become the focus.

Our personal philosophy in ministry has become much more practical. Sure, you can come to church and have a great experience with God, but are you different when you leave? Better yet, are you in a place to be a tangible blessing to someone else?

Yes, we are warring for a generation. I definitely understand that. How are we going to reach a world though, if we're not speaking their language? I don't mean to compromise the message of Christ by any means. But I've seen a sweaty construction worker on a hot, summer day genuinely blessed by someone offering him a cold bottle of water. Would he have been as touched by someone approaching him to ask if he was saved? The bottle of water might offer that opportunity, though. And it might not. God may have that job for someone else down the road.

Can we focus on teaching kids to look for tangible ways to be a blessing to their friends and then trust God to open doors? Why do we feel such a desperation to lead someone to a relationship with Christ the way we think it should be done instead of operate within His timing.

OK. I'm off the topic. Sorry. Maybe we would do best to stick to the example Jesus set for us. He strived to obey God at all times, but he also chose to be very aware of the practical needs of those around Him. He fed hungry people. When they were sick, he fixed them. He did go off and spend time with his Father when he needed to, but most of His ministry was spend making His Father's plan relevant.

Your comments?

3 comments:

Jen said...

Okay, can I just say that this trailer is mildly disturbing? I can't figure out if whomever put it together deliberately made it appear to be a fanatic/cult/mind control camp (interesting that one woman made a comparison to the Palestinians), or if that's what it is.
I have to keep in mind, also, that God's wisdom appears as foolishness to the world and that creative revision can make anything look like anything, depending on who's working in the editing room.
I can honestly say, too, that there were children in this clip who looked as if they were genuinely moved and honestly seeking God.
On the other hand, some of the clips would be disquieting, to say the least, if the camp was about any other subject than God.
So, I guess I'll end with a very clever quote from my sister: "Hmmmmm"

Jen said...

Wow, that was a long comment.

Chris said...

I especially agree with Jen's comment about the editing room; what they choose to include versus what might not have looked incendiary enough to put in. It seems prime fodder for those intent on classifying the religious right as being no different than the Taliban in their extremism. Not that we (the church) don't give plenty of examples to back that up. One frame listed a review calling the film "even-handed". I wonder if that's true. May have to see it.