Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hair ye, hair ye!

I have to preface this by telling you my hair history. I grew up as the daughter of a beautician. Well into my 20's, I had never set foot in a hair establishment of any kind. When I strayed from my mother's hair care (primarily because of distance), I had beautician friends that would do my hair in their or my homes. Relocating geographically once again found my family and I at Great Clips. It's pretty simple - you go in, tell them what you want, they cut it, you pay and go home. I've also been coloring my own hair for the last few years -- buy the box, do the color (and mess up the bathroom) and, voila - new hair. I could never understand why any woman would have the need to go to a salon and spend all that time and money.

Today, however, my eyes were opened.

I sit here and type this with perhaps the most fabulous hair I've ever had. I spent three hours in a salon today belonging to a woman I had met not quite a year ago. This quaint, little salon pretty close to where I live.

I've never had anyone let me sit in the chair and talk about what I'd like to see for my hair, what I love and hate about color and highlights, what my goals are, etc. Melissa talked about my face shape, skin coloring, preferences and maintenance. She colored, washed, dried, highlighted and cut me to awesomeness. I was (and am) amazed at how much I love it. True, the frugal side of me is freaking out a tiny bit because I spend way more than I ever have to get anything like this done -- but strangely enough, it really does feel worth it. Is there a price to feeling gorgeous?

Go get your hair done already. Tell them Katy sent you...

3 comments:

Ami said...

It's so worth it, isn't it? I've followed my stylist to three salons and each time the cost has increased for me, but I love her so much that I wouldn't stop going if she doubled the cost. (OK, that's probably not true, but I'd be devastated if I had to quit her.)

Great hair makes me feel amazing, and that's worth just about any price.

Any your hair looks AMAZING!

Ami said...

AND your hair...not any your hair. *Ugh*

Potler Tribe said...

I know that quaint little salon...Zerabellas! Once you step in, you feel like your home! It's a nod to a boutique salon...you feel like you're special the moment you step in the doors. And, I'm a firm believer, every woman should splurge on a great haircut! (even if it's only twice a year!) It's a small price to pay for putting an extra swing in your step and a confident smile on your face!!