Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Ethics... and things that fall into similar categories

So I'm in a book club with two dear friends (and, quite frankly, we think we're pretty cool) and my next read is due by the end of this month. I feel it necessary to highlight that there are two kinds of readers - book borrowers and book buyers. My sister, for example is a book buyer because she is a re-reader. I am not a re-reader (OK, sometimes I'll read a book more than once, but that's only if it's really good. I figure with the precious little time I have to read, I want to get in as many titles as I can) and therefore am a HUGE fan of the library. I don't even mind a fee once in awhile because I figure I own the library something for its awesomeness. Baltimore County has a fabulous library system. I am indeed enamored with it.

Our book for September is Emily Giffin's Heart of the Matter. I flippin' LOVE Emily Giffin! I just read her Love the One Your With while I was on vacation and it took me all of two days. I can't wait to get my hands on this new one.

Here's the problem - because it's a new book and because it's filled with Ms. Giffin's fabulousness, I'm like number 3,000,000 on the waiting list to get my paws on it. Here's the dealio, though. I found out another close branch has a large print copy of it available - like NOW!

My question is this - is it unethical or bad form for me to check out the large-print copy when I don't need it (though I am pushing 40 - it's only a matter of time)? What if some older, feeble, optically challenged woman wants to bask in Giffin wonder and I'm reading the LT version? I feel like it's akin to using the handicapped stall in the bathroom.

Thoughts? Permission to proceed?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They can live without the book for a week. Leave a large print AARP mag in its place and go to book club.

Word Cuisine said...

I agree - not a big deal. There's so much more important stuff you can be worrying about.
S
http://floodinghouse.blogspot.com/